Hando is a member of NEPCon’s executive management group. He oversees the development and maintenance of NEPCon's service programmes, ensuring that our service portfolio meets tomorrow’s needs for sustainability services.
Hando supports the strategic development of NEPCon through his participation in the executive management group. Amongst other focus areas, he plays a key role in shaping our strategies and policies as well as overseeing key functions such as human resource management, acquisition and maintenance of accreditation, quality management, coordination of innovation projects and training activities.
Hando's role as Programme Director entails coordination of the development of tools and approaches to enhance certification systems and related sourcing and market aspects.
With more than 10 years of practical field auditing experience, Hando is a seasoned Forest Management, Chain of Custody and FSC Controlled Wood auditor and expert. He has also provided numerous analytical inputs and is often involved as a technical trainer on these topics at external and internal events, often in an international context.
He has an academic background within landscape ecology and social geography.
Hando joined NEPCon in 2002.
The true challenge in sustainability certification is to develop systems that are easy to apply yet robust, creating positive change without bureaucracy. This takes a lot of work but is worthwhile due to the huge rewards for the environment, society and business
- Certification standard development and system engagement
- Forest management and chain of custody auditing, standard field testing
- Training course development, execution and facilitation
- Human resource management
- FSC and PEFC certification systems
- Service development
- Accreditation and assurance systems
- Management of business and service delivery
- Research on impacts of sustainability certification
- PhD in Human and Social Geography, MSc in Landscape Ecology and Environmental Protection
- Countries worked in: China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Peru, Mexico, Nicaragua, South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Australia, Canada, Maldives, USA, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, France, Spain, Belgium, United Kingdom, Brazil, Costa Rica, Germany, Panama, Slovakia, Switzerland, Vietnam
- Languages spoken: Estonian and English